When buying a grill, there are many models available. Among the best-selling, gas grills stand out for being fast, efficient and economically-priced. For many people, Gas Grills are one of the best types of cooking equipment. They are very easy to use and have many benefits over other types of cooking equipment. One benefit is that they don’t produce smoke and all the harmful fumes associated with burning wood or charcoal for example.
Best gas grills on the market
How to Choose the Best Gas Grill
Another plus point is that gas grills are very economical. You can cook with them without it costing you a lot of money. This is because the flame that is created from these units can get very hot. As a result, the flame can cook food very quickly. The best way to describe this process is like having a campfire with open flames, which is what happens when you are cooking with gas grills.
Another great benefit is that many people find that they don’t have to worry about running out of fuel as often with a gas grill. This is because you don’t use a natural gas grill as much as you do an electric one. If you were to compare the cost of running a gas grill versus the cost of running an electric one then it would be easy to see why people would prefer the natural gas grills. With natural gas grills you have to constantly think about buying more propane and this can run into the hundreds of dollars per year. With propane prices on the rise as it is, you can imagine how expensive it can get to run a propane grill.
Some of the best gas grills that you can buy now are available in stainless steel. Stainless steel is a very popular type of material to use in a grill because it is very durable and you don’t have to worry about rust forming on the grill. When you compare the cost of a stainless steel gas grill with a gas grill that uses propane, you will see that there is not much of a difference in cost. While you might think that you would save money by using a stainless steel grill, most people do not.
Some people like to use charcoal grills because they do produce some very good smelling smoke, but some people do not like the taste of the smoke from a charcoal grill. If you use a gas grill, then you do not have to worry about this problem because you can always use your lighter to light the charcoal so that you can cook your food. Many people use this type of grills to cook steaks because it gives them the kind of flavor that many people love to have in steak.
One thing that you might want to consider about a propane grill is that there is no need for you to purchase an additional lid or anything else in order to keep the flame going. You just turn on the flame, set the timer on how long you want it to go about your day. The flames will move up and down on the grate in order to give you the exact amount of time that you want it to be up and running. Most of these grills also come with a thermometer built into them that will tell you what the temperature inside the grill is at any given moment. This can come in handy if you want to make sure that you are cooking your foods at the right temperature.
What advantages do these grills have?
Exactly what advantages do these grills have that might make you want to buy a gas model? First of all is the speed of ignition. Just press a button and wait about 5 minutes to start. This shortens overall cooking time and gives you much more leeway when it comes to improvising.
For some, a grill is associated with generating lots of smoke. Smoke is not unpleasant for many people, but for those who don’t care for it, gas grills are perfect. They do not generate it, neither when lighting nor during cooking, which makes them much healthier.
The gas grill is characterized by its fast ignition and little smoke when preparing food.
Another notable advantage is that these grills allow better control of power. With other grills, such as charcoal, you should place the charcoal evenly on each side of the grill so that the heat is evenly distributed. With gas it is not necessary, because by pressing a few buttons you can turn on one area or another of the grill.
In addition, the intensity of the heat is fully adjustable. With wood or charcoal grills, the flames can grow until they touch the food, possibly burning the surface and leaving the interior too raw.
Gas grills typically have a longer lifespan than charcoal. The greater durability of these grills means that, although the upfront cost is greater for buying a grill with superior characteristics, in the long run the investment is more profitable and, therefore, the gas grill is cheaper.
Additionally, there is the issue of security. Since they use gas, these grills are much safer than charcoal ones, reducing the chances that an ember could blow out due to the wind and cause a fire. With this type of grill, you don’t have to worry.
Space for some could be an issue, as gas grills tend to be large. However, today there are small and even portable gas grill models for those who want to go to the countryside or do not have so much space in the garden.
How to choose the ideal gas grill?
Are you not sure what you should take into account when buying your gas grill? It can be difficult seeing so many models on the market, but here are the things to keep in mind:
- The size: What size do you need for your gas grill? Remember that these are larger than other types of grill, so you may need a lot of space. But, if your idea is to take it with you when you go on a trip, you will have to look for a more compact model.
- Will you use it often?: Do you like to have family gatherings? Or are you just going to buy it for special occasions? Depending on what you want it for, you may be interested in a cheaper model, or you may need to invest in a more expensive one.
- Lid or no lid?: Do you know that there are models of gas grills that are sold without a lid? This is what is commonly known as a gas grill. It is much better if it has a lid, because it helps the food cook more evenly and thoroughly. But, some foods do taste better when prepared without a lid.
- Location: Although the location of a gas grill does not cost as much to decide as with charcoal ones, it is important to check that you have the necessary space to install it.
How to use a gas grill correctly?
Do you think that grilling on a gas grill is something you will learn in just one day? Of course not! If you want the food you prepare in it to be perfect, you are going to have to learn a couple of tricks:
- The grill should always be clean: Is this obvious to you? For many it’s not. It is true that these types of butane grills do not have to be cleaned as much as others, but the smoke from the grill leaves a bad taste in the food if it is not cleaned well. In addition, the fat generated by the heat will also stick to the grill, and this can spoil the taste of future dishes. For example, if you’ve previously cooked fish, and you don’t clean it well, the flavor could stick to your meat next time you’re cooking.
- Watch out for outbursts: Yes, gas grills are safe, but when grease from food mixes with a spark, or flame, an unexpected burst of flame or heat can occur. To avoid this, it is necessary to have an empty part of the grill, to be able to move the food in the event that the flame rises.
- Sugar and heat; what is there to know?: There are foods that are cooked with sauces, and these are very rich in sugar. Sugar burns when it reaches a temperature of 130° C. When you cook this type of food, you must ensure that your grill does not exceed this temperature.
- Always keep an eye on the grill: It is great fun to meet with friends and family while the grill takes care of preparing the dishes, but are you going to leave it unattended? A single mistake, and it could overdo your food, start a fire, or go out without you noticing and spoil the evening.
- Perfect cooking point: Gas grills can reach a temperature of up to 300° C. This does not mean that all the food you are going to cook with it should be done at this temperature. For example, lamb, pork, or beef must be cooked at a high temperature, but fish, vegetables or chicken must be cooked over medium heat. You will have to be patient with the cooking times.
- Do you know how to use searing?: To obtain the best flavor on a grill, searing is one of the great secrets of cooking your meat to perfection. Searing gives meat an excellent, caramelized flavor. To do this, heat the grill to its maximum, place the meat and wait a minute. After the minute, turn your meat over, reduce the heat, and you’re done!
- Learn to use indirect heat: To grill some types of meats, such as chicken, it is best to use indirect heat. To do this, you have to turn off the burners under the meat and turn on only those in the corners. This way the meat will not overcook and will have a unique texture.
How should a gas grill be cleaned?
If this is the first time you’ve had a gas grill, you may not know how to clean it. This type of grill requires two types of cleaning; one after each use and one for once a year.
For the general one, light the grill, with the oven lid closed, for about 20 minutes. This will burn the remains of fat and food, achieving a quick partial cleaning. After 20 minutes, turn off the grill and let it cool down. Next, disconnect the gas cylinder and the burners. With a brass brush, proceed to clean the grill, and then once more with a sponge dampened with mild soap (containing neutral pH) and warm water. You will have to do the same with the deflectors. Do not use abrasive products, as this will damage the enamel of the grill.
And for the rest of the grill? Once or twice a year will suffice. For the burners you will need to remove them and the rear clip, and wash them with a steel bristle brush. Make sure you are cleaning the burner holes, thus ensuring maximum cleaning. To clean the interior well, you can use a watering hose, inserting it through the hole. Once finished, let it dry.
The lid is the easiest area to clean, as you only need a sponge, grill cleaner, and warm water. In the case of white stains, or corrosion, you can use cooking oil. Dip a cloth in this oil and apply it with circular movements.
The side trays will depend on the material. If it is made of wood, you can use teak oil, but if it is made of steel, it is better to use a grill cleaner. Lastly, the ground. These types of grills can generate stains that are very difficult to clean. This is why it is best to install a grill pad or splash mats.
Where should you put your gas grill?
The great advantage of this type of grill is that it is much easier to place than other types. You can have it on a terrace or in the garden without any problem since they are much safer and risk of fire is lower.
Even if they don’t smoke as much, ideally, they shouldn’t be near doors or windows. It is also not recommended that it be near the area where you are going to eat, as the smell of gas could be annoying for your guests.
Gas grills are great for grilling chicken and skewers.
Since size is a negative factor in this type of grill, you should find a place with a lot of space to install it. Generally, they are usually put on terraces, but if you have a large garden, you can also have it in that area without problems.
Better or worse than other grills?
You cannot enjoy the fantastic experience that results from lighting a grill. On top of that, you will not be able to take it anywhere. These grills are big and heavy, and you must add the extra weight of the gas canister. Although there are smaller models, they are much more bulky than other types of grills. Even so, they have the great advantage that they are easier to place in different areas of your land without having to worry that a fire could be caused by a small oversight, and stainless steel gas grills are highly durable.