For many years, charcoal grills have become the perfect companion for those who liked to cook outdoors. Today there are not a few restaurants that continue to serve food cooked with charcoal. But for what reason? So many advantages do they have? Does it taste that good to meat?
Best charcoal grills on the market
Charcoal Grills & Cooking Grate
Charcoal BBQ is the most popular way to grill outdoors. It is clean, very easy to use and produces grill-like flavors. Charcoal is a type of coal that burns unevenly, resulting in an ash like material when it burns. The best charcoal grills are made of coal that burns more evenly and produces less ash. Charcoal grate burners can be used for meat, fish, vegetables, pasta and other food items.
You have many different designs, but they all boil down to one thing: what type of grate they have and what type of fuel is used to power them. There are basically three types of Charcoal Grills: Porcelain-coated cast iron, Porcelain-coated coal and Stick-on stainless steel.
Each type of Charcoal Grill has its pros and cons. Some of the Charcoal Grills mentioned above use porcelain-coated cast iron or coal. There are some pros and cons to each.
Grills that use porcelain-coated cast iron are best for charcoal grilling and other types of indirect heat grilling. They produce hot, evenly burned charcoals. This type of Charcoal Grill is best used for meat and other food items that you want to grill evenly. They will produce more juices than other kinds of Charcoal Grills because of the even cooking and retained flavor.
This style of grill also cooks faster than other Charcoal Grills.
Charcoal Grills that use coal grills have a number of advantages over Charcoal BBQ’s. First they produce a more consistent charcoals and the heat is uniform throughout the entire grill. Second, it is easier to control the temperature of the cooking grid. Third, they produce a grill that is hotter than any other Charcoal Grill.
Many people prefer Charcoal Grills over any other kind of grill.
Before you buy any type of Charcoal Grills make sure you have a product tester. If you don’t have a product tester then the charcoal grills may give off smoke like flavor.
This type of taste can be eliminated by holding the cooking grate upside down. Always place the cooking grate under an open flame to eliminate smoke like flavor. It can be cleaned with coals lighter fluid. The lighter fluid will loosen burnt on debris from the cooking surface. The grill should be cleaned when they show any signs of dullness or being too hot. If you constantly have to replace the cooking surface then you should probably consider cleaning your charcoal grills frequently.
If you don’t clean your grill regularly it will soon lose its good taste and quality.
What are the advantages of charcoal grills?
Until not long ago, cooking with charcoal grills was common. And although over time people have been opting for other fuel types, the truth is that a grill that uses charcoal today is still more recommended than other models:
- It is very economical. There are dozens of models on the market, which are adapted to the needs of each person. Of course, there are models that are expensive, but there are others that are quite cheap and interesting.
- Your fuel is cheaper. Charcoal itself is inexpensive. In addition, it is much healthier now that charcoal is used for this type of grill.
- It has a high calorific value. Although gas or electricity can reach high temperatures, of approximately 300°, nothing resembles the calorific value of coal. This fuel can reach a temperature of up to 500°, perfect for roasting.
- Easy to transport. Charcoal grills are much easier to transport from one place to another. With other types, such as gas, you have to think about the grill plus the cylinder. Charcoal grills can be taken anywhere without taking up a lot of space.
- Different nuances to the flavor of the meat. Depending on the type of charcoal used, the meat gets a unique and different flavor. As if that weren’t enough, the smoke generated by the embers also helps the flavor of the meat become something special, with a texture that cannot be achieved with other types of grills.
- You can cook with wood. Just because it is a charcoal grill does not specifically mean that you should use only charcoal. Many people use firewood to make their dishes on these fantastic grills. Enjoy a great chat with that pleasant smell of burning firewood in the background.
- Different cooking levels. Most modern models of charcoal grills allow raising or lowering the level of the charcoal bed, as well as the racks on which meats and vegetables are placed. Thanks to this, different levels of cooking can be achieved at different speeds.
- Easy to clean. Until recently, cleaning a charcoal grill could be a real headache. However, today many of them have a “one-touch” function, which allows fast and efficient cleaning in a short time.
What do you have to look at when buying a charcoal grill?
Choosing a grill can be quite complicated, since each person has different needs. However, there are a number of common characteristics to look at when buying a charcoal grill:
- Will you take it with you? Choosing one of the many models of charcoal grills on the market will depend on what you want to use it for. If you are going to take the grill with you when you go on a trip, you may want a model with wheels. On the other hand, if it is for your terrace, or garden, you can save by buying a fixed grill.
- What type of fuel will you use? Here you have to be very careful. It is true that most models are mixed and allow the use of firewood and charcoal. However, some models are exclusively require charcoal. You will have to ask before buying it. We explain how to choose the best grill charcoal and to obtain a truly professional result.
- How much are you willing to spend? When looking at charcoal grill catalogs you will see that there are many prices. Actually, do you need to buy the most expensive model? Of course not, because you can go for slightly cheaper models. If it is for a garden, or when you go on a trip, buying a small charcoal grill will be more than enough. For the garden, if you like to make family meals, you should still look for a larger design.
Where should you locate your charcoal grill?
Before proceeding to buy a charcoal grill, you have to think: do you have enough space for it? The right space for it? Not all houses offer you the space to have one. So, what do you need to take into account when placing your grill?
- The direction of the wind: Generally, the direction of the wind does not play an important role when using charcoal grills, since they have lids. But what if you tried to cook with the lid open? The wind can be a major inconvenience in the process, so you have to find an isolated area, or somewhere the air currents are not too strong.
- The placement of trees: You have to be very careful with this. The shade of a tree is a wonderful place to grill under, but you shouldn’t get too close to it. Find a point where you can cook under its branches but stay at a safe distance so that, if any embers jump, a fire does not occur.
- A protected area that isolates noise: Not all neighbors are happy with the fuss that can come with having a grill. For this reason, it’s best to have fences or bushes that isolate the noise.
- The perfect size: It is usually recommended that the area around a grill, whether garden or terrace, be at least 10 square meters, thus having enough space to comfortably enjoy cooking on your fantastic appliance.
- Will the smoke bother you?: Grills generate a lot of smoke, and that smoke will move in wind. For this reason, you should place it away from doors or windows, to prevent odors from entering the house. In addition, it is not good to cook right next to the place where you are going to eat, because it will make your guests uncomfortable.
- In the garden or terrace?: Certainly, having a charcoal grill means that you have to think about the best place to install it. You can have it in the garden, but it has to be located on a flagstone floor, free of vegetation. A terrace is almost always a better option, provided it gives you a clear area, and that the wind does force smoke into your home from there.
- How about a kitchen grill?: Today there are some grill models that can be installed in kitchens and prepare dishes as they were done in the past. Why not try them?
Is it easy to clean a charcoal grill?
Many people are put off by the idea of buying a charcoal grill because they are difficult to clean. However, the most modern models allow for a simple, fast cleaning and save a lot of time in the process.
The steps to clean a charcoal grill are:
- Start by removing the ash and the remains of the embers left after the roast. These can be somewhat stuck to the walls of the grill, so you will have to use a spatula to remove them.
- Having already removed all the ash, it is time to get rid of the remains of the food that may have stuck. For this you can use special grill cleaning brushes. In addition, stores also carry special liquids for this process. Some are specific to the model of grill.
- Having removed everything, it is best to let the grill dry out in the open. Or you can use a dry cloth to remove the remains of the cleaning product.
How often do you have to clean a charcoal grill? The truth is, ideally you would clean it well after each use. But if you do it once a month, it should be enough to keep it in good condition. If you remove the remains of food, preventing them from sticking, the area of the embers can be cleaned less frequently.
Are they better than other grills?
Certainly, charcoal grills have many advantages, and in some respects, they beat other grill models. For example, the calorific value is certainly higher, and the smell of burnt wood is pleasant. In addition, it gives a different texture to the meat. And, of course, it is much easier to transport, not requiring a heavy external power to operate.
But perhaps its biggest drawback is controlling the amount of carbon. With an electric or gas, you don’t have to think about controlling the amount of coal you have left. Maybe it’s a downside. Even so, the attraction of these grills is that you can experiment with different types of charcoal until you find the one that adds the best flavor to your meat according to your personal taste.